Coming Out On National Coming Out Day

See the source image

     This post is going to be a short one, and, unlike a few months ago, not a difficult one. On this day of coming out, I want to join the ranks of courageous people who feel empowered to do so today and say that I, Isaiah Matthew Laitinen, am bisexual. I struggled with this for quite some time, but, when I weighed the options of hiding it my entire life of being honest, I realized that I was surrounded by compassionate and supportive individuals.

     Why even bring it up? For millenia, and in many places yet today, members of the LGBTQIA+ were prosecuted, ostracized, and even killed simply for who they loved. Coming out shows that there is no longer any need to be ashamed, that the world has changed into a better one in which two adults who love each other can express it, and that we are courageous, although we need still rely on those close to us for emotional support, as all people do.

     Happy National Coming Out Day! I look forward to celebrating many more as the world progressively moves towards tolerance and love. 

Comments