The Sun Is Merely Setting...


This is from the past: today is September 18th, 2020. I just decorated my room for Halloween, and I am still anxiously awaiting the results of the election from my abode next to a small wooded area interrupted by the winding flow of a brook. I sit on my deck, the only sounds being the water, the chirping of birds, and the gentle roar of a personal plane. Not far is the relative hustle and bustle of the city of Green Bay.

Going into town is like staring ignorance in the face: lines of "Trump-Pence" signs litter the street, the property value plummeting like the collective IQ of the nation. Last time, my region of my state won the election for a man who is not my president. When I created this blog I vowed not to change anything, but set a goal of changing the perspective of at least one person of sound mind. Voting is amazing; getting a different person to vote is even better.

     I know not what the results of the election are and I will not know for almost 7 weeks. It is almost like Groundhog's Day: if Trump wins, 4 more years of ignoring science, bullying those who think differently, taking rights from the LGBTQIA+, stoking the flames of racial injustice, destroying the environment, and betraying our allies. 4 more years of government overreach and 4 more years of what Eisenhower called the "industrial military complex." Then, I look at my home and think that everything will be okay.

     What matters is that we do all we can. What matters is that we never allowed injustices to exist unseen. What matters is that we vote, we volunteer, and we show that we are stronger than ever and gaining strength. I have no doubt Trump will try to play dirty, and he always has. We simply have to remember who, and why, we are.

     When I created this blog, I never imagined what it would become. Thanksgiving will be coming up when this is posted, and so I am thankful for you all. The election will also have passed, and I will take the time until New Year's to either prepare for the fight of a lifetime or rejoice in change. One thing is certain: politics will be a part of my life forever.

     The sun is merely setting on this chapter.

Comments